Sunday, May 15, 2005

 

What a Week!

A lot has happened this week. The first item to go over is the tragic bus accident that happened on Monday the 9th. I was playing in a golf event on Monday and had no ideal of what had happen in town around 8:30 am. After the golf outing, which I will cover later, I decided to go to the driving range, something I should've done sooner, to make sure I was as bad as what I had played. On the way home I went by the Liberty School District office where they were having a press conference. When I got home and checked my email there was a message of the accident, but didn't give me any indication that it had killed two motorists and sent 23 children to the hospital. The bus involved is the bus that Elizabeth rides from the high school to the junior high to get her bus home. I have sat at the intersection many a times waiting for the lights to change, never could one imagine anything like this ever happening. As of Friday the 13th three students were still in the hospital as well as the bus driver. It will take several months to find out what went wrong that day, I hope that everyone involved will be stronger from what has happened. I know that at least three families lives have changed for ever.

On Monday after the golf outing I was presented the 2004 Volunteer of the Year award for my efforts last year at the Champions Tour event here in Kansas City. I was sitting at the same table as George Brett. I didn't get to the table in time to talk to George other the to introduce myself. Except for having a sad golf game I did enjoy myself and felt good about getting the award. The tournament this year is June 6th to the 12th. I'm ready, although I don't look forward to the 40 to 45 minute drive each morning.

On Tuesday after another sad loss, Tony Pena (I almost put Muser) resigned as manager of the Kansas City Royals. I truly think that it was a matter of time before the Royals would have given up on him and fired him. He is also involved in what appears to be a nasty divorce here in Kansas City. I will let the hiring of a new manger run it's course, I'm not sure who I would like to see replace Tony but I don't want Bob Schaefer.

Wednesday the Royals had a new manager with the same results, another loss. The offense did seem to click better, more relaxed. The thing that I would've wanted to see is Angel Berroa benched at least one game, he has made several boneheaded plays this year and seems to have a get out of jail card for some reason.

Thursday started a three day span in which I went to a Royals game. The weather wasn't the best, we had upper level tickets and just as we got settled in we were told to go down to the Plaza level. The game started an hour and thirty six minutes late. We only stayed for two innings and saw the Royals get some nice hitting from Emil Brown and John Buck. John Buck needs to get his bat going or he should be sent to Omaha, no reason to be hitting under 200 this late in May. The Royals did hold on for the win in a rain shortened game.

Friday was another loss as Burgos gave up a shot to the D-Rays number 9 hitter. Burgos started out this year proving he was ready. His last two outings have been anything near where he was earlier. It might be time to have him go back to the minors and work on his control.

Saturday was the final game of the week for me. We got our powder blue trucker style hats and watched a good game between two bad teams. In the end Emil Brown had another clutch hit to drive in the winning run. Andrew Sisco pitched the ninth but go into some trouble, another pitcher that should be protected a little more, in comes Mike Wood for the final out. It was Woods first save in his major league career. He did get some help in the outfield from Terrance Long who made a hell of a catch. The Royals pitchers right now are going through another period of trying to figure out what their roles will be. Wood was slated as a long reliever/spot starter and now appears to be in the running for closer. Sisco was for mop up and became the number one setup man, now he is in the running for closer with some setup. If there isn't any consistence how can the team get into any grove? That appears to have been the problem with the offense. Other then Sweeney and Berroa, who should be benched, no other player could get into any set routine. Stairs, Marrero, Brown, Long, Graffanino, Buck and any other player that was to get regular playing time couldn't figure out when they might start. Tony Pena was trying to get his backups regular playing time but was killing his regular starters by not letting them get into a regular routine. Emil Brown has started the last 8 games and has raised his average from .190 to .224 in that time. He is driving the ball and getting timely hits. He is playing like he did in spring training. It is time to let them play and hopefully the wins will follow.

They did get their tenth win last night, the last team to get to double digit wins. Now they need to string a few wins together and get away from the talk of the worst record in baseball history.


Comments:
Oh Harry. You are my hero. You know soooo much about the Royals that it makes me want to come right over to your house and give you a big wet kiss. I bet you look good in that trucker blue Royal's hat. I'd like to see you in something pink. Do you have anything pink? Maybe you could put it on and describe to me what you look like in it.

Signed,
Pretty in Pink
 
Well Pink, you seem to be a well rounded person, you are a big poetery fan aren't you. As far as my Royals knowledge it is a special skill, maybe some day you can gain knowledge like mine for your favorite team. You know there are several teams in the same boat as the Royals, like the Rockies, Rays and the Cubs.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?